Katya Mendes da Maia is a holistic health and life coach, raw food chef and wellness enthusiast living in Macau, China. Her site Live & Love Healthy is a project through which she shares her passion for wellness lifestyle, whole nutritious foods and all the things she loves in life.
1. I love that you have a BA in Economics and then made Healthy Living your business. I took a similar path. What events lead to your career changing so dramatically?
I’ve always been into health and wellness. But while looking for my own wellness balance I wouldn’t even consider to work in this industry.
I have to say detox and raw food changed my life. I was going through my own experiments with detox and eventually came across raw foods. And, not surprised at all – it helped! I felt so good in my own body – I got excited, I wanted to learn more, I wanted to share with people and it all turned into a 2013 snowball of happenings. I joined health coaching program with IIN (Institute for Integrative Nutrition), launched a Live & Love Healthy project, did a Raw Food Chef training with Elaina Love and now, in 2014 I am a certified holistic health coach, raw food chef, wellness pioneer in Macau with exciting projects ahead and, talking about economics,- working in one of the most growing industries in the worlds – industry of health and wellness.
2. What was the best thing you learned on Elaina’s Course?
If I say one best thing it is actually not related to food, but about the attitude. Elaina set an inspiring example of how to be loving, positive, open to people and ideas and simply enjoy life to the fullest. And talking about food, Elaina give me strong knowledge base for my own future raw (and not raw) whole food creations – she is the best kind of educator.
3. When we met we talked a bit about how Macau isn’t an easy place to eat healthy – what are the biggest challenges you face in this respect?
No matter where you are it is always easier to choose unhealthy, but if you are on your path to wellness, nowadays in almost any place you can find your ways.
In Macau we have markets with fresh food, we have Chinese Medicine traditions and we have plenty of places to exercises. So it’s not that bad 🙂
My biggest challenges though have been eating out and meeting like-minded people. I love eating out, connecting with people while sharing a meal. Macau is a destination for excellent gourmet restaurants, however when it comes to a simple meal there is not a single place serving quinoa or a green smoothie. It is a very small city so naturally there are not many health-conscious people, but there is a growing interest.
I see it as my personal Macau mission – to grow the wellness awareness in the city, which is now my home.
4. If the whole word had to listen to you speak for 30 seconds, what would you say?
Wow! That is hell of a question! Recently I gave my first public health talk and saw it myself – people need inspiration and support. I would say: “Do it! Go for it! Follow your dreams and enjoy every moment of your journey!” And then I will smile – smile connects people, right? 🙂
5. Totally! I see you’re quite the multi-faceted individual; you coach, design detox programs, create recipes, and do reiki. Which of these activities brings you the most joy and why?
Oh, I am all over the place with wellness – I am a multi-passionate wellness enthusiast 🙂 I love raw food, I love yoga, I love alternative healing. Coaching, detox, reiki, yoga, raw food – all of it (and more) is a balance of a beautiful life. I enjoy the most to inspire people to live a healthier and happier life. It is meaningful and rewarding.
6. On your site it says that you’re planning on getting a Yoga Teacher Training under your belt in 2014, what other big plans do you have for this year?
I am so excited for 2014! It is going to be a year of growth and development, personally and professionally. I am starting my raw food classes in Macau, engaging in few wellness projects (best way to follow my latest updates is my Instagram – totally addicted!) and on nearest agenda – going back to Ubud for my yoga teacher training with Radiantly Alive. I will continuer my education in in the fields of detox and balanced lifestyle.
7. What Ridiculiciously Freesh Raw Food Recipe have you been saving for a special moment, and would you please share it with the lovely readers of JonnyFreesh.Com?
Sure! And it gotta be chocolate. I love chocolate and chocolate is good for you! 🙂 Here is an easy chocolate truffles recipe. Vegan, raw, refined-sugar free and super-yum. These truffles are great to take to a party or enjoy in the afternoon for that extra chocolate energy kick.
Raw Chocolate Truffles Recipe
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup coconut flower sugar
- ½ cup melted raw cacao butter
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- ½ cup raw cacao nibs
- ½ cup coconut flower sugar
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Leave the truffle mixture in a fridge until it firms.
- Grind cacao nibs and coconut flower sugar together.
- Roll truffle balls and coat them with nibs mixture.
- Store in the fridge and try not to eat them all at once 😉
Ohhhhhhh man those look super Freesh
8. Do you like hip hop? If so, whose your favorite Rapper? Favorite Rap Song?
Hmm, I don’t really know much about rap, I guess I will learn more about it next time I meet you in Ubud 🙂
I love that Blurred Lines song and video (so provocative!) – it just gets you moving! It’s hip hop, right?
Wow I am out of the Loop. I hadn’t even seen this video! Not sure if I’d call this Hip Hop but there’s certainly some rap in it. Pretty nice verse by T.I.
9. I like to save the most important question for the end… What do you think about Durian?
It smells! 🙂
Thanks for sharing with us Katya. I’m really excited to see what you grow in Macau. Look forward to seeing you when you’re back in Ubud 🙂
Want more Katya Mendes de Maia in your life?
Hope you enjoyed the interview, and if you did, I’d really appreciate it if you showed your support by sharing it with your friends and family 🙂