I dedicate this recipe to my Dad and my Bubbies (that’s what I call my grandmothers). Don’t really know why, but I had this strong urge to put a Star of David into this cake. Might have to do with the fact that my Dad loves carrot cake, or that I’ve been saying Jewish prayers before I eat recently. Whatever the reason, it turned out beautifully and it’s nice to have something that reminds you of your family when you eat. So for the 10 minutes while I gobbled down this entire cake in one sitting I thought of my Dad and Bubbies! Just kidding I swear I didn’t eat it all in one sitting 😉
Raw Carrot Cake Recipe
All the products linked to below are from UbudDirect, my favorite online Organic Grocery Store in Bali, and are affiliate links. This means RawFoodBali receives a very small percentage of any purchases you make after clicking one of these links. The prices stay the same, and you help support me so I can keep providing you high quality content and information about healthy living in Bali 🙂
1/4 cup Almond Meal (ground almonds)
1 1/4 cup Shredded Carrots
1/3 cup Shredded Coconut
2/3 cup Dates
1/4 cup Walnuts (ideally soaked and dehydrated but it’s okay if you eat a few enzyme inhibitors)
1 Vanilla Bean
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 tsp Ginger Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
- Process all ingredients together in a food processor until a smooth mixture is created. Or if you like your carrot cake chunky then process it less 🙂
- Gently wipe the bottom and sides of a 7.5″ removable bottom pie tin with coconut oil. Spread mixture into pan.
- Let sit in fridge for a few hours to set. This is a really thick mixture though so it doesn’t need long.
Raw Carrot Cake after removed from pie tin
Coconut Butter Icing Recipe
5 tbsp Raw Coconut Butter (Make yourself by putting Coconut Flakes in the food processor for 15-20 minutes until a butter is made)
2 tbsp Virgin Coconut Oil
2 tsp Raw Honey or Coconut Palm Nectar for a fully vegan recipe
- Whisk together in bowl until completely mixed.
- Put in the fridge for 15-30 minutes to harden slightly. Pay close attention to this you don’t want it to get so hard that you can’t pipe or pour it.
- Remove cake from Pie tin.
- Pour Icing all over it
- Garnish with Shredded Coconut, Walnuts, Shredded Carrots, etc. – Rule of thumb for garnishing is to use ingredients from the recipe.
Love you Bubbies. Sorry for being such a brat in synagogue as a child.
Then proceed to pick it up with your hands and shove it down your throat as fast as possible. Just kidding. Slice and savor 🙂
Delicious, Easy, Simple, and Inexpensive – And of course…Healthy!!!